The cotton industry has once again honoured its people at the 2018 Australian Cotton Industry Awards.
Held at the Gold Coast on the final evening of the 2018 Australian Cotton Conference, around 1000 people gathered to celebrate the talented and committed people that make up the industry.
The 2018 awards recipients are:
- Monsanto Grower of the Year: Brett Corish, Corish Management Pty Ltd, “Mundine”, Goondiwindi, QLD.
- AGRIRISK High Achiever of the Year: Bernie Bierhoff, Avondale Ag, Rowena, NSW.
- ADAMA Chris Lehmann Trust Young Cotton Achiever of the Year: William Back, Auscott Ltd, Narrabri, NSW.
- Cotton Seed Distributors Researcher of the Year: Dr Joseph Foley, Dr Malcolm Gillies and Dr Alison McCarthy, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, QLD (pictured).
- IPF Service to Industry Award: David Montgomery, Moree, NSW.
CRDC Executive Director Bruce Finney congratulated all the awardees. From a research perspective, he mentioned the team from USQ who have worked to make the Smarter Irrigation for Profit project the success it was. CRDC led this project on behalf of the Australian Government through the Rural R&D for Profit Program with partners Sugar Research Australia, Dairy Australia and AgriFutures Australia.
“This award is testament to the real impact these researchers have had not only in our industry, but across industries,” Bruce said.
“They have helped producers improve water use efficiency, take up and implement cutting-edge technology.”